Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Barefoot Test Next Monday (7/12/10)

On Sunday, I ran the Peoria Jaycee's Firecracker 5k.  The run felt very good barefoot and I was happy with my time (19:47 or 6:23 pace).  I scored a 3rd place age group medal.  It was humid and I always wilt a bit in these conditions.  Here's a picture.


Next Monday Big Dog Greg is having me do a barefoot test.  It's a series; 4x2 mile repeats barefoot and shod.   The workout is 1 mile warmup.  Then the first 2 mile set shod at 6:10-6:20 pace.  Check my average and max hr.  Do a full recovery, then second 2 miles on same course barefoot keeping my HR at the same level as with shoes (run by HR not by pace).  Next interval I run 2 mile course with shoes at the same HR as before.  Finally, do 2 miles as fast as I can barefoot (time trial).  This test will yield my barefoot paces and the difference between my shod and unshod paces at this point in my transition.  It should allow Greg to see how much natural fade and unshod fade (indicative of fitness) that is also a variable.  I'll keep you all posted on the results.

No comments: