Friday, October 2, 2009

Why Is It That We Run? -- Brad Henz

Why is it that we run? For some of us, it is for the sheer enjoyment of being out in nature with nothing standing in our way except ourselves.
For some, it is a resurrection of self, a reminder of who we are. It is a test of the mind, the body, and the soul. Each of us has a different reason. Some of us want to stay thin. Some of us want to get thin.
Some of us want to be fast. Some of us just love being out there.

I run because I enjoy it. I enjoy the camaraderie, the friendships, and the sharing of something greater than any one of us individually. I will be honest, there are days I don't feel like going out there on the roads. But I do. When I get moving, there is nothing better than feeling the wind on my face, the burn in my muscles, and seeing the ground fly by underneath my feet. The hardest part can be just opening the door and walking outside.

I also love coaching.

Synergy, the movement of many of us in the same direction with the same goals, is one of the reasons I enjoy coaching. Did you know that when Kristi and Angela ran their 800s together on Tuesday, they ran 5-7 seconds faster each time, than when they were on their own? Seems pretty magical, but it is the synergy of team work. The movement in a direction together.

It is no surprise to me that many of you are improving. Why? Because by being consistent and putting in the work, you will REAP what you SOW. Running is all about consistency and staying with it. In 4 weeks, FAST will be over, but I highly recommend that everyone continue on. We will be starting a winter FAST program in December, once a week, to teach the benefits of base building and how to do it. You will still get your 12-16 weeks of tailored programs, but we are looking to have more clinics to help teach you as an athlete. I hope to see many of you out there! Even if you do not partake in the winter FAST base building session, continue on with your running. You will surprise yourself. Why start over when the weather gets nice again in the spring? Build upon the previous training and the winter building! Each year compounds itself on top of one another to help you become a stronger, smarter, and faster athlete! Think about it!!!

I have been honored and blessed to be surrounded by such a GREAT group of people for this inaugural FAST program!

No comments: