Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Last Night's 12 Miler (almost all barefoot) Getting Ready For Grandmas

On Sunday I received a phone call from one of race people at Grandma's.  He had noticed I was registered as Barefoot Rob and was wondering about the unusual name.  He asked if I'd just run San Diego.  I hadn't.  After Huntsville I registered under this name but as I've been struggling to get back into condition I've fallen off on the barefoot mileage in order to be able to run Greg's paces.   I told him my dilemma an asked him to switch my name to Rob Fennell so as not to offend any barefooters who see me running if I am in shoes.   Don't get me wrong.  I still run a portion of my mileage barefoot and have raced a 5k but as it's warmed in Illinois in order to run with the guys and to complete the very difficult schedule I've had to do many of the workouts in shoes or sandals.  I'm toying with the idea of running the Grandma's marathon barefoot but with less than 2 weeks to go I'm not sure I've got the foot conditioning I need.  I ran last nights paced workout barefoot or nearly so.  I used the East Peoria trail because of it's relatively smooth finish.  I put the Vibrams on at mile 8 and finished the last 4 in them.  Overall my pace was fine but my feet were hurting at the end.  I did no damage to my soles but feel I lack foot toughness.

Now for something completely random:  I found this video on youth and ageing and it speaks to me.....

No comments: